SENATORS Vicente C. Sotto III and Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson denied claims that they have discussed plans to hold a constitutional assembly (Con-Ass) to amend the constitutional age limit for the top two offices to allegedly disqualify Vice-President Sara Duterte-Carpio.
In a message sent to reporters via Viber, Mr. Sotto, Senate minority leader, clarified that a statement he made on the age requirement adjustment has been misconceived following Senator Maria Imelda “Imee” R. Marcos’ claims of a constitutional assembly.
“She [Ms. Marcos] was wrong. Ping was right. We never discussed the constitutional assembly,” Mr. Sotto said in mixed Filipino and English. “I also said ‘if ever there is an amendment to the Consti(tution), I prefer, we lower the age for President and senators’ it’s simply friendly talk.”
Mr. Lacson on Friday also belied the claims, saying that no talks of a constitutional assembly have been brought up even in the caucuses held by the minority.
Ms. Marcos previously claimed that the constitutional assembly is aimed at adjusting the age requirement for presidents to 50 years old from 40.
She also alleged that there were plans to amend the Constitution to extend the terms of higher officials.
“Flat lies, outright lies,” Mr. Lacson said in a press statement. “If there are plans to convene a constitutional assembly, we don’t know that. We don’t know what end state they want to see.” — Kaela Patricia B. Gabriel


